This position is responsible for assisting with steel and aluminum structural work in all stages of repair and modernization of marine vessels including US Naval Vessels, Military Sealift Command, and commercial ships and barges while under the supervision of a supervisor and/or journeyman / 1st Class shipfitter. The position requires a basic understanding of structural repair procedures and a strong aptitude and ability to follow directions. The individual must possess knowledge of ship terminology, measurements, and the ability to read job specifications and drawings. The qualifications and general capabilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability desired by the shipyard.
- Ability to comprehend instructions and general correspondence.
- Working understanding of ship repair terminology and ship compartment location nomenclature.
- Be physically and medically capable of wearing all required personal protective equipment (PPE) required for the job as prescribed under OSHA standards. PPE includes hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.)
- Ability to effectively communicate issues encountered during the job that are in conflict with the directions provided by the supervisor or journeyman / 1st class fitter.
- Ability to read and interpret structural drawings, including weld symbols.6. Basic understanding of hand and power tools used by ship fitters including but not limited to mauls, grinders, circular and reciprocating saws, and hand and magnetic drill.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals using US customary measurement system.
- Must have OSHA 10 and fire watch certification.
- Must be willing to work any day and shift as required by job demands.
- Must be DBIDs eligible; as work will be on Mayport Naval Base as well as Drydock.
- Must have one (1) year of experience in a shipyard environment, working on Navy vessels.
Employee Owned Company | Health & Dental Benefits
You can also email or fax your resume. Reference Job #42946
Email: [email protected]
Call: 904-357-5541 (HablamosEspañol)
EOE / DFW / F / Vet / Disabled Employer
Note: by applying for a position with Ameri-Force you are giving Ameri-Force permission to contact you via email, phone, and text messaging.
Ameri-Force has been In business since 1991 and is 100% employee owned. We are seen as a premiere provider of temporary staffing in several industries including ship construction and repair, aerospace and defense, heavy construction, light and heavy industrial, energy production and utilities, oil and gas, disaster recovery, manufacturing, environmental, railroad, and general labor.
Why Work For Ameri-Force
Our team members are the best part of the company and they’re what make Ameri-Force great. When you join Ameri-Force you’re not just starting a new job, you’re becoming part of an industry powerhouse. By providing some of the highest wages and best benefits available it’s no wonder our average team member remains with Ameri-Force for 10 years or more. The goal at Ameri-Force is to be your employer for life. Our recruiting team works hand-in-hand with you to provide assignments which increase your skill level and add to your job experience in order to advance and maintain your career.
- Health Insurance
- Dental and Vision Plans
- Term & Short-Term Disability Plans
- Incentive Programs
Commitment to Safety
Safety is our number one core value. We are uncompromising in our commitment to the health and safety of our employees. We’re dedicated to continually improving our processes, demonstrating leadership, and promoting comprehensive safety throughout our organization. Ameri-Force expects individual accountability among all employees and promotes a dedication to adhere to safety standards. We ask that all team members actively participate in and support the advancement of our health and safety practices. Safety is the responsibility of all employees, including both top management and the individual craft worker.