- A painter Helper is responsible for performing, with direction and supervision, the cleaning and preparation of surfaces, including metal and fiberglass surfaces free of grease, dirt, scale, rust, and old contaminants, and for applying a coating system in accordance with MIL and SSPC Standards.
- Surfaces include parts, equipment, interiors, and exteriors of ships, and boats using brushes, spray guns, and rollers.
- The Helper is also responsible for: mixing preservation material, with assistance, in accordance with material data sheets; masking and taping necessary areas to protect customer property from collateral damage; and performing touch up work as needed.
- Work is accomplished in all phases of ship repair and modernization of maritime vessels including US Naval Vessels, Military Sealift Command, and commercial ships and barges.
- The position requires a working knowledge of the preservation process and the drive to accomplish quality work on schedule.
- The capabilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability desired by the shipyard.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Must be able to comprehend verbal instructions and general correspondence.
- Must have a working knowledge of ship repair terminology and ship compartment location nomenclature.
- Must be physically and medically capable of wearing all required personal protective equipment (PPE) required for the job as prescribed under OSHA standards. PPE includes hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.)
- Must be able to write basic reports describing the material condition of the ship as it pertains to the assigned work item.
- Must be able to effectively confer job related information to the supervisor, journeyman, and Improver.
- Must have experience using hand and power tools associated with the trade in a safe manner. Must be able to scrape, sand, and needle gun surfaces to remove old paint and rust.
- Must be able to apply coatings with a brush and roller, or spray gun.
- Must have a basic knowledge of the different types of coating systems.
- Must be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals using US customary measurement system.
- Must possess a basic understanding of the metric system.
- Two (2) years of related experience, some of which must be in the maritime environment, working on Navy vessels.
- Must be available to work any shift or schedule as required.
- Must be DBIDs eligible and MUST have OSHA 10.
Employee Owned Company | Health & Dental Benefits
You can also email or fax your resume. Reference Job #42684
Email: [email protected]
Call: 904-357-5541 (HablamosEspañol)
EOE / DFW / F / Vet / Disabled Employer
Note: by applying for a position with Ameri-Force you are giving Ameri-Force permission to contact you via email, phone, and text messaging.
Ameri-Force has been In business since 1991 and is 100% employee owned. We are seen as a premiere provider of temporary staffing in several industries including ship construction and repair, aerospace and defense, heavy construction, light and heavy industrial, energy production and utilities, oil and gas, disaster recovery, manufacturing, environmental, railroad, and general labor.
Why Work For Ameri-Force
Our team members are the best part of the company and they’re what make Ameri-Force great. When you join Ameri-Force you’re not just starting a new job, you’re becoming part of an industry powerhouse. By providing some of the highest wages and best benefits available it’s no wonder our average team member remains with Ameri-Force for 10 years or more. The goal at Ameri-Force is to be your employer for life. Our recruiting team works hand-in-hand with you to provide assignments which increase your skill level and add to your job experience in order to advance and maintain your career.
- Health Insurance
- Dental and Vision Plans
- Term & Short-Term Disability Plans
- Incentive Programs
Commitment to Safety
Safety is our number one core value. We are uncompromising in our commitment to the health and safety of our employees. We’re dedicated to continually improving our processes, demonstrating leadership, and promoting comprehensive safety throughout our organization. Ameri-Force expects individual accountability among all employees and promotes a dedication to adhere to safety standards. We ask that all team members actively participate in and support the advancement of our health and safety practices. Safety is the responsibility of all employees, including both top management and the individual craft worker.